Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Toon Layout



I've never really done much layout/environment work before this project, so diving into this assignment was a BLAST! The goal was to create a setting and later place 12 character within the space. I saw the opportunity to create my own cartoon world, and thus Sky World was hatched.

I apologies for not having the final result. Here we see the final penciling of the layout, the rough (blue), and my sketchbook page of characters.

This project was tough because I'm normally used to drawing characters versus environments which include more technical perspective. From the blue rough you can see I used many sheets for just about everything (I think there was about 4-5 different layers...there a torn transparency just for the sign!). By the end of it all, I learned a lot of what NOT to do.

tips:
  • don't get caught up in detail (first use large shapes/ geometry)
  • DO: draw on smaller dimensions (thumbnail perspective), then work final bigger
  • DO: finally, think about composition in relationship of both characters and layout

No comments:

Post a Comment